Thursday, November 17, 2011

Creatures; stage one

So, I sent out the call to create collaborative creatures. 
I got enough response to do two rounds. Yipeee. 
Since I was going to participate in both I was faced with a dilemma; should I create two different creature descriptions? Or should I give the same description to both groups?
I immediately resonated with the second option. Yet when I started to write my description I realized that I didn't want two different versions of the same person. That would be...redundant. 

So I did this instead.

Group One Creature
Klaus
Klaus is a small creature. He lives in a deep dark forest high in the mountains. He is illusive and secretive. His home is full of tall trees and quiet pools. He spends most of his time in the thick branches, grasping with the tiny claws on his six toes. It is gloomy in the mossy forest, so Klaus needs big eyes to see well. When he comes down from his tree home to drink water, he walks on two legs. He has long ears to catch the most sound, but they are very floppy to keep the constant rain and mist out of his ears. 

Group Two Creature
Claudette
Claudette is a small creature. She lives in a deep dark forest high in the mountains. She is illusive and secretive. Her home is full of tall trees and quiet pools. She spends most of her time in the thick branches, grasping with the tiny claws on her six toes. It is gloomy in the mossy forest, so Claudette needs big eyes to see well. When she comes down from her tree home to drink water, she walks on two legs. She has long ears to catch the most sound, but they are very floppy to keep the constant rain and mist out. 

I am super excited to see how different (or alike) my two Twiddles turns out to be. It is also interesting because the difference in my creature descriptions is totally gender, whereas one of my fellow creatures is entirely un-gendered.  

I am really impressed and inspired by the descriptions of the other creatures. Some focus on physical characteristics, while others focus more on lifestyle (food, habits, etc). Others are very...abstract, with little physical description, but lots of existential detail.

Next stage; design. Both the creatures I have to design like to eat; one eats only sod, the other eats anything at all, all the time.

No comments: