Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Spin, spin, spin

I have now spun two full skeins on my drop spindle. Yippee.
The first skein was three hanks worth of a black, red, and grey merino with threads of white silk all the way through. This fiber was a dream to spin with, so soft. I made this yarn for a swap in my Fairy Tale group. My theme was Raven and this fiber seemed to fit perfectly. I did a two ply and hated it. Way too thick for my taste, but my swap partner loved it. (I also hated spinning up the ply, way to much fussy)
The second skein was three hanks of green, yellow, and brown merino with silk (same company). I spun the whole thing up while I was at Firemaker and put it on the blanket at the Giveaway. It was single ply and gorgeous. My friend Aurora (who had watched me spin all week) picked it up. She says she is going to weave something fabulous with it.
The second skein was so much easier than the first. I am getting a much thinner and more consistent yarn. Which is fabulous. I can't wait to be able to make lace weight. I am still pre-drafting my fiber, but I find I can still spin up quite a bit even doing it that way.
Next skein I am going to keep for myself!! No really...I will. I promise. Perhaps something blue...

I've been slogging away on the February Lady sweater. I am using the cream coloured wool I got from KnitPicks in January. It looks fabulous so far. But sweaters...man!!! I can do a single 4 row repeat of the lace in the time it takes me to watch and episode of Stargate Atlantis (the current TV show we are running through). So it is slow going. I feel I need something quick and dirty to knit right now. Something along the lines of instant gratification. Fingerless lace gloves or some such. A hat maybe...we'll see. Just need a break from the sweater...

No comments: